Sunday, July 31, 2005

Wexford, O'Hanlon's, and St. Peter's

Today we have three beers up for review. This week, we've decided to take a hop across the big pond, where the wonders of English and Irish beer await us. Let's take a look at them.

Wexford Cream Ale
Country: Ireland

O'Hanlon Ruby Stout
Country: England

St. Peter's Cream Stout
Country: England

First up is the Wexford Cream ale.

Fish: This beer is just like buttah. Very smooth, great pour, and wonderful taste. An all-around good beer. I'll give it 7 pints.

Gryphon: I've had "cream" beers before, but this is the only one that has truly earned the title for me. Just an amazing creamy texture. Really good taste for something that's not a stout. I'll give it 7 pints as well.

Tserof: I love it. I'm keeping this one... I'll give it 7 pints too.

Rusty: This has no real flavor for me, and it has a funky aftertaste. It's nice to look at, but I don't much care for it. It gets 5 pints from me. I'd rather have the malt liquor. Do we have anymore of that?

Mad Mike: I don't get a lot of flavor from this either, actually. This scares me, but I'm going to have to go with Rusty on this one. 5 pints.

Ashlynne: **Very minor bitter beer face** Yeah, that aftertaste is really bad. Not horrible going down, but the aftertaste is a bit much. The aftertasted lessened some from a glass rather than out of the bottle. I'd probably give it 6 pints.

Jalera: **major bitter beer face** That sucks! It has no flavor. How can you guys like that? Blech! No pints from me.

Final Tally:
Drinkers' Average Score: 6.2
Woodchuckers' Average Score: 3


The next beer up for tasting is O'Hanlon Ruby Stout. This one is "infused with wine". Should be interesting.

Fish: Fruity. Smooth, but way too carbonated for my tastes. I'm not big on wine spoiling my beer either. 4 pints from me is all.

Gryphon: It's not horrible. Has an interesting fruit flavor, I suppose from the wine. I agree with Fish on it being too carbonated. This isn't coca cola, folks. I liked it better than him, but not much. 5 pints for me.

Tserof: It's not bad, but it's not great either. The Wexford was better. 5 pints for me too.

Mad Mike: It's got a bit too much aftertaste to it, but was pretty smooth up till then. I liked it. 7.5 pints from me.

Rusty: I get a little bit of aftertaste from it too, but it's very drinkable. I could definitely enjoy one of these. 6 pints here.

Ashlynne: **moderate bitter beer face** Ugh. Not good. This is way too bitter, and it leaves a nasty aftertaste. 2 pints from me, and it's lucky to get those.

Jalera: Yech! **major bitter beer face** That's nasty! It smelled nice, but it tastes awful. 1 pint from me, and only grudgingly then.

Final Tally:
Drinker's Average: 5.5
Woodchuckers' Average: 1.5


Our final beer this go around is St. Peter's Cream Stout. Everyone is really impressed by the bottle for this thing. It's like artwork. But the real test is what's inside...

Fish: Oh my God... That's wonderful. Extremely low carbonation. Perfect color. Great stout bitter. Very smooth. I think I'm in love. 9 pints from me.

Gryphon: Wow. Wonderful. This is just an excellent stout in all facets. Very smooth. 9 from me also.

Tserof: I get a chocolate taste from it. Awesome beer. More chocolate than any beer I've ever tasted. 9 here also.

Mad Mike: Tastes like unsweetened cocoa to me. I like it. Just not as much as these guys. 7 pints.

Rusty: Indistinct. I don't know what else to say about it. 7 pints from me as well.

Ashlynne: **Uncertain bitter beer face** I'm not sure what to think of this. It's not bad, but the bitter aftertaste does it in. 4 pints from me.

Jalera: Yeah, I agree. Too bitter. 4 pints from me too.

Final Tally:
Drinkers' Average: 8.2
Woodchuckers' Average: 4

2 Comments:

Blogger Ashlynne said...

See... this is what comes from not taking proper notes. :) I said that I really wanted to like the Wexford, it was just the aftertaste that held back points from me.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Gryphon said...

Funny, since what is written there is that it's "not bad going down but the aftertaste kills it", which is exactly what you just said...

Reading is fundamental. Complaining is not. You just volunteered yourself to take the notes from here on. Congratulations...

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home