Monday, August 22, 2005

Live from the Flying Saucer 8/14/05 Part 1

Welcome back to Drinking 'Round the World! Today is a special edition as we're here at the mecca of beer, The Flying Saucer in Nashville, Tn. The Flying Saucer has over 200 beers in stock and we plan to try them all. Ok, maybe not all today, but eventually. It also has a bevy of extremely HOT schoolgirl clad waitresses. Smoking chicks who like beer. I think I'm in Heaven...

Anyhow, let's get to the reviews, shall we? Rusty didn't make the trip with us, so he won't be reviewing. Starting it off, we have Murphy's Irish Stout. I can already see Fish drooling.

Fish: Never in the history of beer has there been such a yummy delight. We all have one beer that's our 10 and this is it for me. 10 pints and I'll enjoy every one of them.
Gryphon: Excellent beer. No carbonation, very smooth, nice and full. It's the next best thing to Guinness. But it's not Guinness so I'll give it 9 pints.
Tserof: Good dark beer. Almost no aftertaste. I like it. 8 pints.
Mad Mike: That's a good beer. Very smooth. Nice and dark. I like it a lot. 8.5 pints from me.

The Woodchuckers
Jalera: This is good beer. I'm not huge on beer so that's saying a lot in itself. I'd probably give it 7 pints.
Ashlynne: I could drink this. It's certainly not as bad as most of the stuff you make me drink. 6 pints.

Final Tally
Drinkers' Average: 8.875
Woodchuckers' Average: 6.5


Our next beer is Abita Turbo Dog.

Fish: I don't really care for this. It's got a slightly fruity flavor. And it clings to the glass like goop. That's pretty gross. Not much flavor there beyond the slight fruit. 4 pints.
Gryphon: Good beer. I get a slight root beer flavor. It's nice. Very different. I'll give it 7 pints.
Tserof: I get a strong licorice taste. Ugh. That's pretty bad. I'll give it 2 pints.
Mad Mike: It's got a pretty strong aftertaste, but it goes away quickly. This isn't too bad. Probably worth 6 pints.

The Woodchuckers
Ashlynne: Ugh. That's too bitter. Not the worst thing I've ever tried, but not good. Maybe 4 pints. I've had a lot worse
Jalera: It's too bitter for me too. Pretty bad. But like Ash, I've had worse. 3 pints.

Final Tally
Drinkers' Average: 4.75
Woodchuckers' Average: 3.5


Up next, we have a Japanese beer, Sapporo. Let's see how it goes.

Fish: Yuck. Bad smell. Tastes kind of like a Bud Lite. That's not a compliment considering what that cost. 2 pints.
Gryphon: Just awful. People drink this? Major carbonation. It's got a nasty sour taste. 1 But Lite from me.
Tserof: I like carbonated beer, and this is too carbonated for me. It's pretty bland. I'll drink it because I bought it, but I don't much like it. 4 pints I suppose.
Mad Mike: Well, it's better than the Colt 45 was... That's about all I can say for it. 2 pints.

The Woodchuckers
Ashlynne: Ugh. That's pretty bad. Too sour. I don't like that at all. 2 Bud Lites.
Jalera: I agree with you guys. It's pretty bland. It tastes like cheap American beer, but it costs like high end import beer. Bad combo. 1 pint.

Final Tally
Drinkers' Average: 1.75
Woodchuckers' Average: -.5

I'll be back later on with the rest of our beers from the Flying Saucer. Check back often.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice, Spam in the comments section...

Anyhoo, have you read those beer snob ratings? I came across a site, and it had something there at the top called Delirium Tremens, listed as a Belgian Ale and rated highly. Reviews gushed at how great it was. It was named as "Best Beer in the World" in 1998 at the World Beer Championships in Chicago, Illinois, USA.
I found the stuff in Fayetteville, in the store across from the Arbys/Shell gas station, I think it has too high an ABV to sell in AL either that or for once "they" of AL really are protecting us, the great unwashed, from harming ourselves.
Ale? by color I agree. Belgian? I'm pretty sure that is the breed of horse that the piss comes from before they let it go rancid. HoRRible stuff! AND at $14 each, yeah, one cool (25.4oz) bottle with pink elephants and green aligators on the lable filled with fizzy horse piss strained through the old drawers from the bottom of the laundry pile of a Scandanavian lubberjack with crotch rot. Beer has come a looong way baby but this stuff is the dregs of 1654. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_Tremens_(beer)
I keep the bottle as a reminder of one of those foolish moments where I said to myself, Hey self give this a try. This crap has high ratings that I think are created by some sick bastards that want to drag others down the same torrid path as them much like married people proffessing as to how great that is. I now know the perfect accompanying beverage for Vegimite and cedar planks.
Now to go find some of that Pumpkin Pale Moon to try....yall should head to a Buffalo Wild Wings, 20-30 beers on tap at our local spot.

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home